Lower Heating Costs in Butler County and Greater Cincinnati This Year With A Comprehensive Plan
by Greg Leisgang on December 12, 2012
Posted in: Energy Savings
Don't let the high costs of energy in Butler County and Greater Cincinnati put a stranglehold on your budget. The time is now to lower your heating costs this year with a comprehensive plan of attack.
Naturally, one of the easiest ways to reduce your heating bill is to lower your thermostat. The California Consumer Energy Center estimates that for every degree you lower your thermostat, you can expect to recoup savings. Save even more by turning back your thermostat to 55 degrees if you leave your home for an extended period of time.
Your comprehensive plan to lower your heating costs also should involve:
- Check your air filter every month through the winter and replacing it when you hold it up to a light and can no longer see through it. A dirty filter obstructs airflow, which causes your furnace to run harder and at greater expense
- Schedule a furnace tune-up to ensure that your furnace’s components are clean, well lubricated and properly adjusted.
- Seal leaks around windows and doors with caulk, spray foam or weatherstripping. Check for leaks near electrical switches, outlets and register covers, too.
- Seal leaky ductwork with mastic tape, not duct tape.
- Check the insulation in your attic or consult with an HVAC professional for the recommended amount of insulation for regions throughout your home.
- Adjust your ceiling fans so that they run in a clockwise direction, thereby circulating warm air that flows to the ceiling and allowing you to turn down your thermostat.
- Keep window treatments open during the day when the sun is out to capitalize on this natural heat source.
- Keep your fireplace damper closed.
- Replace appliances only with those sanctioned by the Department of Energy’s Energy Star program, which is synonymous with efficiency.
At Tri-County Heating & Cooling, we know that every home is different. So if you want us to take an up-close look at yours to find the best ways to lower your heating costs, just give us a call. We serve homeowners in Butler County and Greater Cincinnati.
Image via Shutterstock.com